Memorial Day Weekend is traditionally filled with fun celebrations – spending time with friends and family, hosting a barbeque, or taking the boat out for the first time this year. However, these times can also lead to accidents if you fail to exercise caution.
As we honor those who have served our country this weekend, be sure to follow these helpful tips to make certain your holiday is safe:
- Allow yourself extra time for travel. Friday afternoon is typically the busiest time for road traffic, so be sure to plan accordingly. It’s more important to arrive at your destination safely than on-time.
- Never drink and drive. If you know you are going to be drinking, be sure to make arrangements for a designated driver ahead of time, or have the number for local cab companies handy.
- Prepare your car properly for long road trips. If this weekend involves a little extra travel time, make certain that your vehicle has been serviced before hitting the road and pack anything you may need in case of an emergency.
- Use sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher. Remember to apply sunscreen 30 minutes prior to exposure, and reapply it every 2 hours.
- Stay hydrated. It’s important to remember to drink plenty of water, especially if your celebrations are outdoors.
- Wear proper attire. Hats and sunglasses are useful in protecting your skin from the sun’s rays. Be sure to pack proper clothing for children as well.
- Clean your grill thoroughly before using. Removing any grease or dust will help prevent a fire from occurring. Remember to place your grill at a safe distance from your home.
- Extinguish fires completely. If you plan to use a fire pit, especially at night, make certain that it is out entirely before leaving it unattended.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill. Remind children to play away from the grill and always have an adult nearby when your grill is in use.
As you enjoy your long weekend, please remember that accidents can happen at any time, so it’s important to have a list of emergency numbers on-hand at your location. From all of us at Soucy Insurance, we wish you a safe and happy Memorial Day Weekend.