Before your holiday activities kick into high gear, remember that not everyone is in a giving mood. The rate of home burglaries spikes between Thanksgiving and Christmas. At Soucy Insurance, we want to help keep your home safe all season long. If you are planning to travel, here are five tips to help keep your home as protected as possible.
- Ask a Friend to Lend a Hand: Even if you are away, it is important to keep up appearances to fend off prospective burglars. Ask a friend or neighbor to hold your mail, shovel the driveway, etc. To be as safe as possible, we recommend limiting the help to one person.
- Keep Your Curtains Consistent: Whether you normally keep your curtains open or closed, keep them the same way before you leave. Notable changes in your curtains can be an easy giveaway to burglars. If you keep any valuable possessions near the windows, place them out of sight before departing.
- Unplug Any and All Electronics: Before leaving your home, check each of your rooms to make sure all electronics are unplugged. Not only will this protect your home from power surges, it will also help you save on energy costs. Even though an electronic may be turned off, it could still be using power.
- Avoid Posting on Social Media: As a general rule, it is important to be mindful of what you post on social media. Do not post anything that suggests you will be away for an extended period.
- Check Home Security Devices: Call your alarm provider to make sure everything is in proper working order. If you own an electric fence, make sure nothing is near it that would create a false alarm.
Soucy Insurance wishes your family a safe and happy holiday. For additional information, please contact us at 401.762.2218.
Information for this article provided by: Keep Your Home Safe on Vacation: 9 Essential Tips (Independenttraveler.com), Home Safety Tips for the Holidays (Liberty Mutual).