Are You Ready?
As insurance professionals, our picture of winter is not always cozy. Winter storms mean traffic snarls, hillsides turning to sheets of ice, and cars sliding around like hockey pucks. Cold temperatures can cause pipes to burst, frost swells and other damage. Heating your home with fireplaces and holiday lighting can increase the risk of fire. At Soucy Insurance, we are committed to keeping you and your loved ones protected. Please review the below information on how you can stay safe all winter long.
A picture-perfect winter requires a few precautions
Here are a few of our top tips to help reduce weather-related hassles this winter.
- Winter-proof your car with good snow tires or chains, new wiper blades, antifreeze, and emergency road supplies.
- Keep your attic cool to help prevent ice dams. Insulate the attic floor and make sure it is well-ventilated.
- Do not overload circuits with holiday decorations.
When winter storms hit, be smart
- If you do not have to drive, stay put. If you must drive, make sure you’ve winterized your car and have a full tank of gas.
- When the air is cold, keep bath and kitchen cabinet doors open so warm air can circulate around pipes. If pipes do freeze, let them thaw normally—they’ll be less likely to burst.
- If the power is out, make sure you avoid leaving candles or fires burning unattended. If you use a portable generator, follow the instructions and do not use it indoors.
Know what your insurance covers
We want to help you rest easy. You will be more relaxed when you know you have prepared your property to lessen the chance of winter storm damage. Your insurance policy covers repair or rebuilding costs. However, your deductible does apply. Check your policy to see what is covered and to confirm the deductible you have chosen.
If you have any questions at all about your coverage, call Soucy Insurance at 762.2218 and we will help you review your options.