In the event of an emergency, Soucy Insurance wants you to be as prepared as possible for any winter storm. Since storms can range in size and scale, it is important to understand the differences between certain weather statements. With a potential storm approaching this weekend, here are some important terms to understand:
- Winter Storm Outlook – Storm conditions are possible in the next 2 to 5 days.
- Winter Weather Advisory – Winter weather conditions are expected to cause significant inconveniences and may be hazardous.
- Winter Storm Watch – Storm conditions are possible within the next 36 to 48 hours. People in a watch area should review their winter storm plans and stay informed about weather conditions.
- Winter Storm Warning – Life-threatening, severe winter conditions have begun or will begin within 24 hours. Take immediate precautions.
As soon as any of the terms are mentioned, Soucy Insurance recommends that you begin to take safety precautions. You should also continue to monitor the weather forecast in your area for any and all changes. If a winter storm watch or warning has been issued, Soucy Insurance recommends that you do the following:
- Minimize travel. If travel is necessary, keep a disaster supply kit in your vehicle.
- Winterize your vehicle and keep the gas tank full.
- Install storm or covering windows to keep cold air out.
- Bring pets and companion animals inside.
- Run water. Running water, even at a trickle, can prevent your pipes from freezing.
- Begin to gather supplies. For a full list of supplies, visit http://www.redcross.org/prepare/location/home-family/get-kit
Soucy Insurance reminds you to be prepared and as safe as possible. For those times when emergency service is needed, please click here for important contact information. http://soucyagency.com/emergency.htm.
*Information for this blog provided by The American Red Cross