Site Loader

Houses with floodsAt Soucy Insurance, we strive to educate our customers on their insurance options and on the importance of maintaining quality insurance protection. Many people are unaware about the true facts regarding flood insurance. Standard homeowners insurance and renters insurance does not cover water damage resulting from ground water floods.

Your Soucy Insurance agent can help explain your options regarding flood insurance.  Supplemental coverage is available through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).  This coverage provides for up to $250,000 for the structure of the home and $100,000 for personal possessions.  While the NFIP provides replacement cost coverage of your home, it will only cover the actual cash value of your possessions.  This is important, because actual cash value is designed to replace your possessions, minus their depreciation in value – the older your valuables are, the less they are worth.

Most homeowners in designated flood zones typically have the necessary flood insurance; however inland areas are also susceptible to the possibility of floods. People living next to rivers or ponds, and even those whose homes reside at the base of a hill should consider their coverage options.  Flood insurance is just as important for renters as it is homeowners.  If your apartment became inundated with ground water flooding, none of your possessions would be covered – thus resulting in a total loss.

If you would like additional information on coverage available through the National Flood Insurance Program, call us today at 762.2218.  Please remember that there is a 30-day waiting period for coverage to take effect so if you are considering flood insurance it is best to act now.

Post Author: jhcomsoucy