For the most part, dogs are loving and dependable members of the family. However, even the sweetest dog can bite if they feel threatened or scared. This is even more of a problem for dogs that have been abused, neglected or mistreated. Many homeowners often question whether they are covered if their dog should bite someone. Here are a few things to keep in mind if you are a dog owner:
- Homeowners and rental policies typically cover dog bite liability
- Coverage does have limits (usually between $100,000 – $300,000)
- If the claim against the homeowner exceeds that amount, the homeowner is entirely responsible for all damages above that amount – including legal fees
- If your dog is a repeat biter, most insurance companies may charge a higher premium or exclude the dog from coverage all together
- You may want to consider purchasing an umbrella liability policy to compliment your existing homeowners or renters insurance and safeguard your assets
We urge all pet owners to make certain that their pets are properly cared for, trained and kept in a fenced in yard, and leashed when walking. Responsible pet ownership helps your dog and will also protect you and your family from any potential lawsuit.
To make certain that your homeowners’ insurance policy includes dog bite liability, contact your independent, Trusted Choice insurance agent at Soucy Insurance Agency at 401. 762.2218.