While these fires are not frequent, they are deadly. One of every 20 space heater fires causes a fatality and have caused an estimated dollar loss of $3.2 million. Here are some tips for safe home heating:
- Keep the heater 3 feet away from drapes, furniture or other flammable materials.
- Place the heater on a level surface away from areas where someone might bump into it and knock it over.
- Avoid using extension cords. If you must use an extension cord, make sure it is a heavy duty cord marked with a power rating at least as high as that on the label of the heater itself.
- Space heaters are for temporary use only. Never leave a space heater unattended or running while you sleep.
- Supervise children and pets when a space heater is in use.
- Keep electric heaters away from water. Never use them near a sink or in the bathroom.
When it comes to heating, it is also important to maintain a consistent temperature for your pipes. If your house is not heated well enough, your pipes may freeze. Click here to learn more about keeping your pipes unfrozen during the winter.
If you want more information on safe heating practices, click here.